1 - We love breakfast around here.
2. - My kids are spoiled and they will say things like - "But we had breakfast pita pockets last week."
3. - I've had several friends freak out over the fact that I serve a different breakfast each day as they can't fathom that there are that many different things to cook for breakfast and that I actually have time to cook breakfast in the morning. (Remember I am a morning person!)
4. - It is FREAKING cold outside and I don't have anything else to write about. I'm not one to shy away from the cold, I would typically go out and roam the streets of Seoul, but I'm tired of the cold and snow. (I know I still have a long way to go as it is only mid-January.) We considered going to the ice festival this weekend, doing a little ice fishing and jumping in FREEZING cold water and stuffing a fish down our shirts (what a GREAT post that would be!) - but in the end I decided I'm not brave enough for that this year (I think the others are secretly happy about this decision too). Maybe next year. It will be something to look forward to....right?
Green Machine Smoothies
I make yogurt based smoothies most of the time.
My smoothies are always different depending on what is in the freezer.
And it is always a guessing game.
The kids like to taste and guess what is in the smoothie.
When they saw this smoothie they guessed: kiwi and green grapes.
When they tasted it they guessed bananas, strawberries and green food coloring.
What would you guess just by looking at the picture?
Did you guess spinach?
If you did you are correct!!
There is always spinach in my smoothies.
Why you ask? Because I have a little bit of an evil streak, really I do and if I can't use it for good (tricking my kids for their health) then things could turn ugly. Real fast. Plus it makes me feel like I am one upping them.
AND they LOVE Green Machine Smoothies.
At this point in their lives they KNOW that mom slips good for them stuff in their food all the time (and they are good with it). They even enjoy tricking their friends into eating 'good for them stuff' without knowing it.
And really, you can't taste the spinach in the smoothies even when you put 2 cups of spinach in it! True story. Just ask my kids.
This is what you need to make a Green Machine Smoothie:
2 cups of baby spinach
16 oz of yogurt (I use French Vanilla)
2 frozen bananas
1 cup frozen strawberries
1/4 - 1/2 cup power-c-machine Naked drink
Put all ingredients in a blender with frozen bananas & strawberries on the bottom and blend like crazy until you have no more lumps or flakes of spinach floating around.
- I always freeze fruit that is on the verge of going bad. I just stick them in a Ziploc bag and toss in the freezer. If you are freezing bananas always peel them first. Frozen fruit is great for tossing in smoothies.
- When making the Green Machine Smoothie you can use orange juice instead of the Naked drink if you would like. The coloring will still be green. IF you use a red juice your smoothie will turn brown.
- If you think your kids will freak out about the 'green' smoothie start with only 1/2 a cup of spinach and then gradually add more each time you make it.
- It is not a requirement to tell your children what makes it green. You can just keep them guessing. When they ask 'what makes it green' you can respond with, 'well what are some green foods you can think of?' You never have to fess up until they are an adult. They can just keep on thinking it is green food coloring, or kiwi. :o)